Posted April 14, 2017
U.S. Department of Defense personnel and units that are responsible for meeting our military’s fuels needs were recognized for outstanding performances in 2016 during this week’s Defense Logistics Agency Worldwide Energy Conference. DLA, the military’s largest logistics combat support organization, issued more than 4 billion gallons of fuel during fiscal year 2016.
America’s oil and natural gas industry is proud to provide the reliable fuels that keep the U.S. military on guard for the rest of us. API was represented at the awards ceremony by Upstream Group Director Erik Milito – below, with Chief Warrant Officer 3 Jason Alderman, U.S. Marine Corps (center) and Master Sgt. Jeffrey Van Duzer, USMC (right):
Congratulations to all the winners, and thanks for your service.
Naval Excellence in Fuel Management Recognition
- Fuels Officer of the Year: Lt. Cmdr. Joshua Melchert, NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center, Jacksonville, Fla.
- Fuels Chief Petty Officer of the Year: ABFCS Criss Coleman, NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center, Yokosuka, Japan (Site Sasebo).
- Fuels Petty Officer of the Year: GSM2 Kristen Nicolas, USS Mason (DDG-87).
- Fuels Civilian of the Year: Digna Feria, NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center, San Diego.
- Outstanding Bulk Fuel Terminal: Defense Fuel Supply Point, Craney Island, Va.
- Outstanding Navy Retail Fuel Activity: NAS Fallon (Nev.).
- Outstanding Capitalized Unit Afloat: USNS Wally Schirra (T-AKE-8).
- Fuels Officer of the Year: Chief Warrant Officer 3 Chad Hentzel, 3rd Marine Logistics Group.
- Fuels Staff Non-Commissioned Officer of the Year: Gunnery Sgt. Ralph Wright, Marine Wing Support Squadron 172.
- Fuels Non-Commissioned Officer of the Year: Cpl. Demetrius Patterson, 7th Engineer Support Battalion.
- Civilian of the Year: Gregory Roberts, MCAS Cherry Point (N.C.).
- Outstanding Marine Corps Non-Tactical Fuel Activity: MCAS Cherry Point (N.C.).
- Outstanding Marine Corps Tactical Unit: Marine Support Squadron 172.
Army API Awards
- Tactical Pol Soldier of the Year: Staff Sgt. Vincent Dupree, 59th Quartermaster Company, Fort Carson, Colo.
- Tactical Operations Unit Award: 515th Transportation Company, 16th Sustainment Brigade, Baumholder, Germany.
- Fixed Facility Operations Awards/Sustaining Base Installation Award: U.S. Army Europe & Africa Supporting Laboratory, Kaiserlautern, Germany.
Air Force API Awards
- Air National Guard Outstanding Fuels Management Flight Award: 115th Fuels Management Flight, Traux Field, Madison, Wis.
- API Best in the Air Force Award: 354th Fuels Management Flight, Eielson AFB Alaska.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Mark Green joined API after a career in newspaper journalism, including 16 years as national editorial writer for The Oklahoman in the paper’s Washington bureau. Mark also was a reporter, copy editor and sports editor. He earned his journalism degree from the University of Oklahoma and master’s in journalism and public affairs from American University. He and his wife Pamela live in Occoquan, Va., where they enjoy their four grandchildren.